Since learning that Kellogg’s was planning to make gluten free Rice Krispies last year, we couldn’t wait to try it! The gluten free version of Rice Krispies, made with brown rice and without malt flavor, recently arrived in Canada so we were also eager to make rice krispie squares using this classic ingredient.
We have made gluten free rice krispie squares before, using Enjoy Life’s Crunchy Rice cereal with Dandies gluten free and vegan marshmallows, and they turned out well, so we were curious to see how this new variety of Rice Krispies would stack up to it’s other gluten free cereal counterparts.
Admittedly, we don’t quite remember what the classic Rice Krispies cereal tastes like anymore since we have both been living gluten free for well over six years now. However, we do remember how our Rice Krispies would ‘snap, crackle and pop!’ and loved the fact that the gluten free version didn’t skip a beat.
Here is the traditional rice krispie square recipe we used:
- 3 tablespoons of butter (or dairy free alternative such as Earth Balance)
- 1 package of marshmallows (we recommend Dandies)
- 6 cups of gluten free Rice Krispies
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add in marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add gluten free Rice Krispies and stir until well coated with marshmallow mixture.
- Evenly press the mixture into a 13x9x2 pan and leave to cool.
The result? They tasted just as we remembered them! Although we still think that Enjoy Life’s Crunchy Rice or even Nature’s Path Organic Crispy Rice cereals are just as good for making tasty gluten free rice krispie squares. We also like how these trusted gluten free cereals are also free of food additives and preservatives, and this is really important to us.
Robyn + Andrea